i Wish i Could Be On Time!

17 January 2004

Parental controlled literature??
I had never thought of the idea of parental controlled literature until I read the book Go Ask Alice. I just finished reading this book, and I have never been so depressed in my whole life. Here is a brief summary: the novel is about a 15 year old girl who becomes addicted to drugs. The format of the novel is a journal. It was like reading Are You There God, It's Me Margaret? on acid. Alice's words go from innocent to haunting. It was very disturbing to think that society has turned out this way. It saddens me to think that substance abuse is a coping skill for the younger generation. This journal is so honest, I felt like Alice was the girl-next-door. Going into Alice's world of drugs made me yearn for the experience, and here I am a 23 year old. I can't possibly imagine reading this novel at 15; an age that is confusing within itself. As a teenager, being influenced is a key issue in the younger culture. The Boston Globe writes, "A book that all teenagers and parents of teenagers should really read." I was mortified! This is definitely not my pick for a teenager. Perhaps parental control is necessary for literature, and I detest this thought, because literature is a beautiful and realistic art form. I feel that it is wrong to shelter your children to the extreme; but with this novel and it's terrifying reality of drugs, maybe this should be considered...

"The rally itself was great, acid and boonze and pot as free as the air. Even now the colors are still dripping down over me and the crack in the window is beautiful. The life is beautiful. It's so goddamned beautiful I can hardly stand it. And I'm a glorious part of it! Everybody else is just taking up space. Goddamned stupid people. I'd like to shove life down all their throats and then maybe they'd understand what it's all about." Go Ask Alice.

Be prepared...If at all interested in this particular novel then do not read the following paragraph, for I am about to expose the main part of the ending.

The story would be a significant lesson if it ended well, but unfortunately, it does not. The story displays the harsh reality of drug abuse, and no value comes from it, only disaster. If it had ended in a more positive way, then I could see the urge for the younger market, but since it does not, don't let your little ones read this...

href="http://www.haloscan.com/tb/crazypoet/107432524151446294/" title="Trackback" onclick="HaloScanTB('107432524151446294'); return false;">

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com