i Wish i Could Be On Time!

19 July 2004

Part III
“I hate these fucking statutes!!!”

So there are these new statutes all around Hamilton that look like real people doing real people things: tying their shoes, playing with their children, or reading a book. They really piss me off. I will be crusin’ by in my car blasting “The White Stripes” and look over and see one of these fucking statutes, think it is a real person and smile because the statutes are (once again) doing real people things. But it’s more than this: these statutes are doing innocent things. Things that everyone does. Much like the way that we as a society watch movies and grasp that idea that the characters are being “just like us.” It’s familiarity. We all gotta love it. It’s the small town America that Wolfe loves so much. It’s “Cheers” where everyone knows your name. It’s the difference between Franco-American and Chef Boyardee. I can’t help but hate these fucking statutes because even though I too, tie my shoes, read books, and play, sometimes I don’t feel “real.”
Wolfe came home. He looks good, well-rested, and happy; I’m jealous. Things were going so well, and now everything is scrambled again. I tried not to compliment myself on paying bills because that is my job. I tried not to compliment myself on getting to my class on time because that too, is my job. And yet, I can’t help it. What is wrong with telling yourself “good job?” What is this stigma placed on our society that tells us to not be proud of the few simple things in life we do well? Bills, work, and in some cases, school. I think it was in my rearing that I did not receive such compliments, and therefore it has made me feel like doing the little things are not worthwhile. But they are. I am proud I paid my bills instead of going to Express. I am proud I woke up on time the other day and picked up my friend that I am car-pooling with and we both made it to class on time. I’m proud I’ve been remembering to take my vitamins. Thank you. 
 

href="http://www.haloscan.com/tb/crazypoet/109029564148778021/" title="Trackback" onclick="HaloScanTB('109029564148778021'); return false;">

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com